(Read the full story originally published in the July/August 2012 issue of Together magazine)
Sisters and brothers, I am humbled and overjoyed to join you in ministry. I thank you dearly for your warm welcome and enthusiasm for the newly-budding community ministry down on Southwest Fondren. I’m blessed to call Westbury my home and you my family.
Perhaps this ministry looks like a house church—that is, a group of Westbury folks moving into the neighborhood, living together and creating a holy and safe gathering place for worship and discipleship. Perhaps this ministry looks like a community house—a holy space offering refuge for folks in need. Perhaps this ministry looks like something we haven’t yet imagined.
This is what I am sure of: God calls us...
- to be faithful disciples of Jesus who welcome the presence and power of the Holy Spirit.
- to this ministry––as an entire body––with our neighborhood at the Fondren corridor.
- to deeper relationship with God and each other, as we live and eat and work and commune
- together in the spaces we call home.
- to listen intently and faithfully to the Holy Spirit and the voices within the community.
- to slow down and notice the details—to be attentive to how God is at work already in the world and how we are being welcomed as God’s partners in it.